Saturday, November 1, 2014

ARF

ARF
My mom, Kathy Littlefield, took a particular interest in the making of this first album. She was a music major in college and worked as a school music teacher my entire life. Of course, like what many kids think of their parents, she’s also a bit crazy.
I was going to breakfast with my dad and her as we were getting towards the end of mixing the album, and she had listened to all the songs. As my dad took multiple wrong turns trying to get us to our neighborhood taqueria, my mom said, “I think "Center of the Universe" and "Turn Back Home" have the most ARF.”  Have what???  “Audience Recognition Factor,” she said it as if only the dumbest person in world wouldn’t know what it means. Of course, the reality is that no one in the world has ever heard or used the word ARF.
I talked to Roy later that morning and told him about ARF. Roy said that was a new one to him, but he thought it was funny and joked that he was going to try to incorporate into his next Mutemath meeting at Warner Bros. My mom called later that day, and I told her that Roy liked her new word and planned to use it which pleased her greatly. She was dropping knowledge on the youth.
The next day my mom called and said that she needed to clarify that The Pink Dust does not have ARF, because no one knows our songs. She was simply projecting what songs might have ARF in the future, if things went well. She was worried that Roy would embarrass himself in the Warner Bros. meeting by using the word out of context. I assured her that I would warn him of the proper usage of ARF. She said that would be wise and hung up. Gotta love your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment